A good pillow is just as important as a good mattress or a futon for getting a restful night’s sleep. Even though many people don’t give a lot of thought to the pillows they use, having the right pillow can be the ultimate secret to achieving a good night’s sleep. Aside from providing the much needed comfort, the right pillow can give you necessary support for your spine and neck, hence preventing common types of neck and back pain. An incorrect pillow will not only cause back and neck pain, but also trigger allergic reactions. After two years of use, pillows simply becomes a collection of dirt, dust, oil, dead skin and even dust mites. That’s why you need to change your pillow as often as possible. So, which is the right pillow for you? Here are some tips to help you buy the best pillow.
Consider your sleeping style
The first and possibly the most important thing to consider when choosing a pillow is your sleeping position. A particular pillow might work best for your sleeping position than another. The following are the most common sleeping positions and the best types of pillows for each of them.
Side sleeper – Choose a medium-high density, memory foam or high-fill pillow.
Back sleeper – Choose a medium thickness, orthopedic memory foam or high-fill down pillow.
Tummy sleeper – Choose a soft, low-fill synthetic or down pillow.
Mixed sleeper – Choose a medium thickness pillow.
Choose the best filling
Different fillings provide different degrees of firmness and different advantages as well. They also range in price from tens to hundreds of dollars. Therefore, it goes without saying that the best pillow will have the best fillings. Here are some of the common pillow fillings:
- Down/feather pillows – They provide great comfort and adjustability. They are able to increase facial circulation, eliminate pressure points and support the head. However, they are not ideal for extremely humid areas as they can develop an odor. They are also not recommended for people with asthma or other allergies.
- Wool pillows – Provide great support to the head and neck as well as a great soft wool feel. They are naturally dust mite free, hypoallergic and antibacterial.
- Memory foam pillows – They are made of sponge-like material that is dense and temperature-sensitive. They mould to the shape of the neck and the head providing the ultimate comfort.
- Latex pillows – They are made of rubber polymer that bounces back after some time. They are also hypoallergic.
- Synthetic pillows – They are made of polyester materials. They are ideal for people with allergies. However, they do not take the shape of the head and the neck as with other types of pillows.
- Orthopedic pillows – This is the best pillow to consider when you have a back or neck problem. Their design is focused on the spine alignment.
Pillows for different sleep problems
Buying the right pillow can help eliminate common sleep issues such as neck and back pain, snoring and allergies. The memory foam pillow, for instance, is ideal for people with snoring problems because it helps to keep the airways open. On the other hand, support pillows are perfect for people with neck and back pain.